1. We have moved to a new Forum System. Please let us know if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Aging RX7 geek

Discussion in 'Noob Introductions' started by DJM, Mar 7, 2013.

1. DJM

DJM New Member

Hello, I'm Doug. My '87 RX7 was a mid-life crisis car when I bought it new, and I just never sold it. Daily, year-round driver for five years, then became a seasonal toy which explains the 107K miles. I've never done any sort of competition with it, but the car has seen a good share of the country over the years. It "drowned" in about 1998, ended up sitting in 18 inches of rain water when a storm sewer backed up while I was in a meeting. The insurance company totalled the car and let me buy it back for $500. I let it sit and dry out for a year or so, put in a new starter, squirted some oil in the rotors, started it up, and just kept driving it with no problems.

The first round of upgrades was in 1992 using HKS parts, when I had a piggy-back fuel controller, fuel cut defencer, boost controller, boost gauge, and 2.5" exhaust installed. Boost was bumped from 6 to 11 psi and performance increased dramatically. I drove the car that way for about 50K miles with no engine related problems.

In 2010 I saw that Elliot White had moved his Turblown Engineering operation to MN and ended up having him rebuild the engine, which was still sound but pretty tired. The current status of the engine is a mild port, rebuilt stock turbo, stock intercooler, the original HKS boost controller, water injection, Rtek 2.1 ECU upgrade, wide band A/F gauge, and RRFPR. I'm pre-mixing oil instead of oil injection. Also an after market radiator, upgraded clutch, fuel pump, and Racing Beat 3" exhaust. I still run 11 psi of boost with no problems after 6K miles. Could probably bump that but I just don't see the point. Suspension has newer shocks but is pretty much stock as I use the car for touring and value comfort over maximum grip. Only upgrades to the interior, apart from the two gauges, are reuholstered seats using skins from leatherseats.com, and an after-market stereo and speakers.

The body has some honorable battle scars earned over the years, so some time in the future I'll give it a paint job, but my big problem right now is to find a transmission shop that knows what it is doing and can be relied on to rebuild a manual transmission correctly. I currently have an S5 transmission in the car that only grinds a little in third gear. Also have the original S4 tranny and an extra S5 sitting in my garage. Sellers of used trannys always say "no grinding" but it never quite works out that way. I would love to get an S5 transmission rebuilt so it shifts like new, but have never found a shop that really seemed interested in doing the job right. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. cmspaz

cmspaz New Member

Welcome!

Talk to Ron at RS Motors, he can do tranny stuff and he takes pride in his work.

3. derp

derp New Member

hi doug

4. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Welcome! Get some pics up ASAP. Oh, and Jon (Funk73) should be able to steer you in the right direction of a more specific FC specialty shop.

5. DJM

DJM New Member

I'll try to post some pics once I take the cover off in the spring. Basically, though, it looks like a stock (white) '87 TII.

cmspaz, thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact them.

6. Grappler

Grappler <font color="#EF77A6">Super Moderator</font>

Sounds like a nice FC welcome :)

7. Lindahl#7

Lindahl#7 New Member

Awesome to hear of another 7 guy in MN, and that's very unique of you to have owned it since new. One owner and it's only been yours makes it very personal and important to you - good luck with it!

8. Lindahl#7

Lindahl#7 New Member

I bet it's a super clean, nice FC. Welcome!

9. derrian

derrian Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! I passed you question on to Jon, we'll see if he has any ideas on a shop for you :)

Sounds like you have loved you car through thick and thin :D

10. Rewedmiata

Rewedmiata <font color="#EF77A6">Super Moderator</font>

Pix!!!!

11. AmomentsLyfe

AmomentsLyfe New Member